Sunday, February 13, 2011

My doctor recently gave me a prescription for cyproheptadine. Can you tell me something about this drug? I cannot find much data on it.


Cyproheptadine is a very old drug and you must be the only one in the entire world to have a prescription. In fact, your doctor must not only be very old but I doubt if he/she has kept up with medical literature. Cyproheptadine is not used in clinical medicine. There are many far better and safer drugs available. Perhaps your doctor owns a pharmacy and wants to get rid of his drug supplies from the 2nd world war. Cyproheptadine was once used to treat allergies and certain endocrine disorders like Cushing’s syndrome. However, your doctor must be living in the dinosaurous age to write you such a script as the drug has many dangerous side effects. Best advice- throw the script, change your doctor or leave town.

No comments:

Post a Comment